Sunday, June 14, 2009

Less Pomp More Circumstance

With clouds threatening rain, we kissed goodbye to 12 years at Santa Clarita Elementary School (it was a family affair) on Friday, June 5th. Yeah, now I was crying. Sobbing actually. It's all good, I just do that with change. One small step for Bryce, one huge step for the Peacocks.

2 smart aleck-y brothers with much to find funny.

Grandma and Grandpa made the outing--first one after mom's knee replacement. One benefit is that she/we got EXCELLENT parking!

Bryce the orator. Here are some excerpts from his speech:

"I learned some mad skills while I was in elementary school. You know, like tether ball skills, hockey skills, and mask making skills. .. I think it’s safe to say, if I hadn’t gone to elementary school, I would be, basically…UNskilled."

"This is the place in every good promotion speech where you quote someone famous. Here’s my quote: “The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time” said Abraham Lincoln. This says to me that experiences don’t come all at one time but a little piece each day. So, stop crying Mom! I’ll be right across the street. In fact, the junior high is even closer to home! Instead of recess, we’ll have “brunch”, doesn’t that sound smarter and more sophisticated? We’ll text, not talk. We’ll get our exercise going from class to class. We’re reaching that stage…teens. I’m sorry, it had to be said eventually."

"So now that I am older, and not three years old anymore, I’m ready to leave Santa Clarita. I’m ready to get more responsibility, and of course, get that cell phone. But even when we become teenagers and start ignoring you, just remember that little boy who wanted to go to school more than anything in the world is still in there somewhere."
Bryce was named Student of the Year for his class. Way to go!

I also got an award for contributions to the school. However, all the pictures showed way too much of my backside in a very unflattering way, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I love this part. They coach the kids to turn and smile to the camera when they shake hands so that proud parents can capture the moment. You can tell where we were sitting, behind him to his left. It's not too bad in this picture, but...

this one's getting to be a stretch, and...

this one requires even more contortion and actually held up the name calling for a moment. But, we got the shot!

Celebrating with the peeps.

The sun made it out!

With the principals.

Now that we're leaving elementary school, I've compiled my lists. I don't know about the boys, but this is what leaving elementary school means to me.

Things I'll Miss:
  1. Hearing "Hello Mrs. Peacock!" in unison from the class when I enter.
  2. Teaching art (which I know nothing about, but I can read...).
  3. Knowing exactly what my child is doing at all times of the day.
  4. Feeling like I'm a vital part of the school community.
  5. Spelling Bees.
  6. Impersonating great women in history: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Coco Chanel, Sally Ride, Pauline Cushman.
  7. Parent-teacher conferences.
  8. Fabulous people--administrators, office staff, teachers, parents, KIDS.

Things I Won't Miss:

  1. Making lunches, lunch boxes, etc.
  2. Chaperoning field trips.
  3. Parent politics. (this should be #1)
  4. School carnivals.
  5. Gift catalogs.
  6. The boxes of projects lining the walls in my office (still got 2 to finish up, though!)
  7. That parking lot!
Definitely a year of change for all of us.

1 comment:

Mark and/or Lisa said...

Awesome post Lisa. Bryce is seriously such a ham. We're looking forward to having him with us next week.