Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Boo Humbug

haunted-house_365

I’m sorry, Bryce.

Really, I am.

Every year you say, “So, when are we going to decorate for Halloween?”

For the last few years, I’ve changed the subject or avoided your eyes when I’ve answered, “Do we NEED to decorate for Halloween?”

You see, mom has been decorating for Halloween for at least 16+ years.   I really was into it at first, I swear.   Truthfully, Halloween is my least favorite holiday.  I don’t like scary stuff or dirty stuff and Halloween has a lot of both.  I like pumpkins, though.  And, overriding it all, I can only think of the hours it takes to get the box out, fluff it all up, arrange it , clean around it for a few weeks, and then put it all away again only to turn around again and do the same thing for Christmas.  You must admit, you get bored with it yourself after a little while (especially when I rearrange everything you do when you’re not looking).

Christmas.  Now there’s a holiday worth decorating for!

I’m sorry, Bryce.  You should have been born into a family like the Hoskins or Larsons or Penners.  They do it right!  Or, you should have been born first so you could have gotten me when I was fresh.  Now I’m tired.

Love, Mom

No comments: