Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Proud to be an American

I've been a little slow to post in the last week, but I did want to memorialize how it felt to be an American on Tuesday, January 20, 2009. I don't care what your politics are, you'd have to be pretty hardened not to be touched by the display of absolute hope that was found in our capital last Tuesday. I was mesmerized by the whole event which I thought was dignified and joyful. It brought me to tears several times as I watched the countless masses all celebrating this momentous event in the history of our country. In the words of President Obama, "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." I love that it was cool to wave the American flag. I love that people flooded the capital just to say they were there. I love the smiles of optimism on the faces of each of the Obamas. I love that President Obama's candidacy and election has captured the interest of the youth. How can you not love this picture???? Or, this one???? We are so blessed to live in a land where democracy rules and power is transferred peacefully. People will disagree, and there is power in that fact. I hope that history will be kind to President Bush, I think any person who dedicates that level of service to their country deserves our respect. "...those values upon which our success depends -- hard work and honesty, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism -- these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history. What is demanded then is a return to these truths. What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility -- a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation and the world; duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task. "This is the price and the promise of citizenship. "This is the source of our confidence -- the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny." --President Obama I share in the hope of our nation. Although I did not vote for him, President Obama has my respect, support, and prayers for his success. For, if he succeeds, we all will. He shoulders the weighty responsibility of all of the nearly impossible set of expectations placed upon him. "Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America." --President Obama Let us all be a part of the solution.

No comments: