Monday, April 18, 2011

I’m Having Guacamole Withdrawals

Cancun over Spring Break:  Way fun. 

Coming back to reality:  Not so much.

So much to tell.  I know, I know.  No one is interested in vacation slide shows.  Too bad.  It’s my scrapbook.  Look away if you must, but I will try to make it a little interesting.

Day 1:  Travel begins at 3 am.  On a positive note, no traffic at all to LAX this early in the morning.  Double bonus:  Aero Mexico has no baggage fees unless you’re overweight (your bags, not you personally, fortunately for us).

We have a 3 hour layover in Mexico City (Justin is SOOO close!) and hit the food court.  Why has all my Spanish left me (and Tyler, I might add, who should be more current!)?   All Tyler can remember is how to ask where the library (la biblioteca) is. 

Jeff tries to order from the menu by number but is actually ordering by price (!)  Tyler is determined to find REAL Mexican food like all those cow head street tacos his brother keeps talking about.  Bryce is freaking out a little and orders:

20110112_kids_menu_560x372

Yep, folks, those are chicken nuggets.  Or, as they say in Mexico City, nuggets de pollo.  I think it’s hilarious that “nuggets” is the same in any language.

After we establish that we are, in fact, ALREADY IN Terminal 2 we go about the business of finding our gate for our next flight.  There are two main thoroughfares to gates at either side of the terminal, separated by about 60 yards. We find our flight on the board but no gate number is listed.  We then proceed to walk back and forth several times between these two main entrance points, like ducks in a shooting gallery, trying to translate that difference between the two and passing the informacion booth no fewer than four times.  Effective.  At least we are exercising.

I give up.  I ask the lady in the booth who uses beautiful English to make me feel even more ridiculous.  Oh!  That entrance!  Pass through security, gate will be posted 45 minutes before flight.  Duh.

All goes smoothly, luggage arrives, and we make our way to the Westin Lagunamar Resort.  You can’t really tell from the picture but there is a prodigious amount of pink and purple paint accenting the décor.  And, this is one of the more subdued establishments.  I really love how fearless Mexicans are with exterior paint colors!

This is our room.  Ya, baby.  Spit and you hit sand.  Doesn’t get much better than this.

IMG_1529

Bryce contemplating the fact that he is the luckiest kid in the world.

See, not SO boring.  I know you’re on the edge of your seat waiting for the next installment.  Here’s a sneak peak:

IMG_1538IMG_1541

1 comment:

Unknown said...

believe me, this doesn't bore me at all. i love, LOVE cancun. but those feet??? ouch.