Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fact Checking

Last night--

Mom: I thought your blog was funny.  But I never had 7 OR 9 dogs.

Me:  Really?  Didn’t you have 7 puppies?

Mom:  Oh,well.  Puppies.  There were 7 of those…plus two adults.  Ok, 9.  But they were puppies.  Not that tall.

Fact 1:  They are still pretty tall.  Here is a picture (thank you www.ibizan.freeservers.com) of Ibizan hounds, which is what my mom has.  These look to be rather youngish, maybe a little bigger than those 7 puppies were at the time of Jeff’s introduction.

Fact 2:  Have you been around puppies?  Especially big puppies?  One puppy seems to take up as much space as 3-4 adult dogs since they are in perpetual motion (until they crash from sheer exhaustion).  So, I don’t think the fact that most of them were puppies helps her case.

Fact 3: While you may say, “puppies are short term, they eventually leave to their forever homes”… you don’t know my mom.  Always one or more were keepers.  And, all of her puppies came with a lifetime guarantee.  So, more than a few bounced back over the years.

Fact 4:  Shake all mental images of outdoor living.  Huntington hounds have full use of the household.

Fact 5:  One particular occasion will go down in the hallowed halls of Huntington history (how about that alliteration??)  We were settling down to watch something on tv and the dogs were restlessly circling the area.  My mom chastised my dad,

“George, get off the couch!  The dogs have nowhere to sit!”

To her everlasting chagrin, she realized not only did she say that out loud, but she said it in front of her son-in-law.

Did I mention he has a good memory?

I rest my case.

P.S.  These little idiosyncrasies are demonstrative of an underlying generosity of spirit and only add to our love and enjoyment of all that is Nancy!

No comments: